Fragrance Girl

Memorial Day ~ 2011

Happy Memorial Day
Just a quick post to say Happy Memorial Day! Not only is it the first paid day off since New Years Day... but this year we are remembering both of our parents.

My Father was a professional photographer... I only have 2 pictures of my Dad. Kinda like the shoe makers children have no shoes. If I had to evacuate my home, after my hubby and my kids I would take the pictures of my Dad & Mom. The rest can be replaced.

My Father was a quiet and hysterically funny man. He loved British comedies before I even knew what Monty Python or Benny Hill was. He used to also love the old Warner Brothers cartoons. He used to sit and laugh like a little child watching Road Runner and Wyle Coyote. He also gave me my love of classical music and opera. I remember sitting in the front room with him watching the first airing of "The Three Tenors" on PBS. We didnt even speak, thats how into the program we were. My Father passed away on my 24th Birthday, Jan 20th, 1995 from cancer. I miss him terribly.

My Mother was an exceptional seamstress, chef, home maker and I think she knew just about everyone in the world. She made holidays like Christmas magical with very little money... but spent many sleepless nights making gifts for all 6 of us kids. She made gorgeous wedding dresses and amazing dolls. She made us entire wardrobes of clothes which we never, ever appreciated. She made amazing breads, candies, pastries, and could make a meal out of noodles, tomatoes and hamburger. She (being Canadian) had a(n) obsession love of hockey which she passed on to us. I had no relationship for the last 10 years of my Mother's life. I do miss her, and the circumstances of her death break my heart. She passed away on October 3rd, 2010.

Our weekend started with finally laying sod in our backyard. We've only lived here for 3 years with an unfinished backyard. It about killed us, but I'm beyond thrilled with the result and cant wait to get tree's, shrubs and flowers out there. I will do a separate post about the yard. Hopefully it will stop raining long enough for my sister, Merry, and I to make a trip to the cemetery. If not, we will make it another day.

And last, but certainly not least...

A huge Thank YOU to all our service men, women and their families. You are the bravest and most selfless people alive... you are the real ROCK STARS!! THANK YOU!!!