Fragrance Girl

Chewy, Soft Caramel Popcorn ~

Hey babies!!
How are you doing?

I was craving a little sweet treat this afternoon.
Something comforting, and not too sweet.
I stumbled across a picture on Pinterest of some really delicious looking caramel popcorn.
I thought, "Perfect! Just a little handful at a time. Just the right amount to satisfy a sweet tooth!"

I prefer my caramel popcorn the way our Mom used to make it.
With a light colored, chewy caramel.
I don't really dig the almost 'burnt' flavor of Cracker Jacks.

I've only attempted to make caramels twice in my life.
I failed miserably, both times.
I figured I would give this one more try.

It turned out so well, I figured I would photograph it for an impromptu blog post.

Chewy, Soft Caramel Popcorn

  • 2 bags microwave popcorn in a large bowl (I sift through to remove as many unpopped kernels as i can get. I hate biting into soft caramel corn only to bite down on unpopped kernels.
  • 2 cups granulated sugar (you can use brown sugar if you like a darker color and deeper flavor)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of salt
In a pot on the stove, bring the butter, sugar, corn syrup and salt to a boil. Turn the heat to medium and add the vanilla and sweetened condensed milk. Cook until the soft ball stage (240 degrees).
Slowly pour over the popcorn and stir to coat. Once coated, pour out onto 2 parchment lined cookie sheets and allow to cool. You could also add any sort of nuts or other add-ins you'd like before it cools. Break into bite sized pieces and enjoy. Store all leftover popcorn in an airtight container.

Easy, delicious, reminds me of being a kid and a couple pieces is enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.
Remember, don't deprive yourself when trying to be healthier.
It's all about moderation. If you eat something unhealthy, work out more during your next workout.
It's simple, really.

It is pretty chewy, so if you have some questionable dental work, eat this at your own risk!

:-)

XOXO