Fragrance Girl

The 5 Year Shelves ~

Hey babies!

How are you all doing?? Having a good weekend, I hope!

I've taken a nice, long break from the DIY.
Was pretty sick and got very burned out.

But, I've got an exciting project to share with you today.

A couple weeks ago, Drew accidentally broke the towel rod in our master bath.
That was the prefect opportunity to do some updating in there, don't you think?

Lots of ideas going around my mind, but this first one has driven me crazy since we moved in.

We have this very strange nook between the shower and the main wall of the room:

The builders should have taken the shower all the way to the wall, right?!?!

So, anyway... when we moved in I got this little shelf from Ikea. It's been like this for 5 years now.
Just about every stinking day when I grab a towel I think
"I REALLY want to build in some shelves there, it would be so easy!!"

One evening, earlier in the week I decided it was going to happen.
I already had all the materials.
Came home from work, cut my pieces of quarter round (attached to the wall and actually hold the shelf up) got my measuring tape, level and nail gun.
Measured, leveled and attached the pieces.
Then, I went down and cut my pieces of MDF for the shelves.
Put them in place, and ended up with this:

Every shelf is leaning to the right.
For the life of me, how did that happen?? I did everything right??
I turned off the light and walked out of the room beyond frustrated.
I went to my Facebook peeps for help.
Apparently, you should measure from the ceiling down.
I measured from the floor up.
Low and behold, the walls are crooked, therefore, so are my shelves.

AH...

I whined about this all week, I wasn't going to attempt to fix it myself.
My sweetie promised to help me this weekend.
He loves me.

Yesterday, he disassembled all the shelves while I cut new pieces of quarter round.
We also have this handy thing called a laser level.
The fancy kind you stick to the wall to help make things level.
*Cough Cough*

Yeah...

Within an hour and a half we had them all up and LEVEL:

Sorry for the phone pics.
I'm lucky I even remember to take these!

I hated that you could see all the yucky bits.
So, I decided to add some pretty molding to the front to hide all that.

Almost there!!

Caulked the seams and painted them bright white.

And now... 5 years in the making:

Well... hello GORGEOUS!!

*SWOON*

Finally, this space makes sense.

I've had the tree vinyl for awhile now, but always thought adding hooks so we could hang our bathrobes from the branches would be cute.

Aw. LOVE!!

Isn't it pretty now?!?

I'm going to go a little crazy now and show you some of the plans I have for the rest of the space.

Going to build a lovely bench with board & batten behind, with hooks for towels.

Disregard the mess, please.
Going to build a couple shelves like I built in the kitchen to get the clutter off the counter.
Will be painting the cabinet as well.

Right now, the Ikea shelf is behind the door holding all my construction materials.
I'd like to build some storage there, too.
I'm also going to build some shutters for this room like in the guest room/office.

Max wanted to be sure you all saw how magnificent he looks with his Summer 'do.
We're going to keep him shaved like this full time now.

I've rearranged my shelves probably 4 times in 24 hours.

Beyond loving my shelves {finally!!!}.

Everyone gave a great week!!

XOXO