Fragrance Girl

SEBASTIAN SAUVE: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW P-Ryder with Sebastian Sauve
    PR: Hello Sebastian! We must say, this is one of those occasions when we have high expectations from the interview, because we know what a great personality you have, and how entertaining you are!
    SEBASTIAN: Very kind of you. High expectations?! No pressure then...
    PR: Haha  After a very successful debut in the fashion industry, you were also featured on the Channel4 show "The Model Agency"! How did you get involved in the making of the series?
    SEBASTIAN: Like a lot of what happens in this industry, I was lucky. I was in the right place with the right agency. I just happened to be in London as I was doing an internship. They saw me, liked me and asked me to take part. Good times!
    PR: Do you think you were selected to be prominently featured because of your personality?
    SEBASTIAN: I like to think it's my personality because I actually have one as opposed to a lot of the other guys. I'm always willing to participate which will always get you far in life.
    PR: Did you think the show would be that successful?
    SEBASTIAN: I knew the show would be successful. Of course it would. Everyone wants to know how this industry works and want to see how ****ed up it is. Also the production on it was first class.
    PR: Were you shy at first, in front of the cameras?
    SEBASTIAN: All this actually made me more nervous in front of the camera, as if it wasn't going to be successful- no one would have seen it but I knew everyone would see it… so I was ****tin’ bricks!
    PR: LOL, Do people recognize you more now? Has it made a big difference with the clients?
    SEBASTIAN: I thought it would, but as yet no member of the public has recognized me or if they have they can't work out why. A lot of people who knew who I was anyway, recognized me if that counts. It hasn't made a whole lot of difference in the industry……who would have thought?
    PR: Right now we're admiring your success on the runway, as we're in the middle of the show season. How would you describe the show season, from a model's perspective?
    SEBASTIAN: It's a trip. A lot of fun, surrounded by great characters, free food and drinks. You get the inside scoop on what really goes down behind the scenes. Everyone thinks you’re awesome and loves you. You’re completely exhausted from 3 weeks without sleep but still have a blast going out every night making hundreds of new friends... Oh boy is it a trip!
    PR: Which shows would you point out as your highlights?
    SEBASTIAN: Highlights this season: Calvin Klein, Versace, Givenchy, Galliano. Moschino, Roland Mouret
    PR: What about the ones that most match your personal style?
    SEBASTIAN: Style… I'd say Calvin Klein. I'd like to wear Moschino or Frankie Morello…. One day.
    PR: Going back to the beginning of your career — tell us about how you were scouted!
    SEBASTIAN: I was scouted on holiday in LA but couldn't join the agency as I was about to start university in the UK 4 days later. They told me to go to London when I had the chance, which after a long while I finally did and here I am.
    PR: What were your first thoughts? Did it take a long time for you to warm up to modeling?
    SEBASTIAN: My first thoughts were jeeze….What a mission. Because I had to travel so far from university to London and it cost so much just for one casting. I almost gave up actually when I was running out of money. I'm glad I didn't because it quickly turned around.
    PR: What would you say is the highlight of your career so far?
    SEBASTIAN : Attitude for my first editorial job, Calvin Klein for my first runway show, Stone Island for my first campaign and the cover of L'Officiel for my first big break. Zara was my first big money campaign. Going to NYC because it's so awesome. Coming home because my friends pat my back for my success. There's plenty of highlights!
    PR: You have quite a collection of editorials and covers in your portfolio! Would you say you're definitely primarily an editorial face?
    SEBASTIAN: I am currently the editorial boy at the minute for sure, but that's starting to change as I'm doing a lot more of the other things now. I'm an everything face. That’s how I roll! Lol
    PR: How does editorial success relate to success on the runway? Which came first for you?
    SEBASTIAN : Run way is straight up, you walk, stop, turn and walk. Not a lot to it. Though it's still very nerve wrecking. Editorial is harder as you have to create the whole shoot and portray your personality but also can be enjoyable and more relaxing. I enjoy them both for different reasons and yes they both work well for each other. It's a case of getting seen by the right people so whether it's a magazine or runway you'll be sure to be seen by the people that count... Hopefully. ….
    PR: We can't help but notice the great editorial you shot with Saverio Cardia for Client Magazine. We've interviewed Saverio recently, and we are fascinated by his style.
    SEBASTIAN: He is very cool, I agree!
    PR: Is it easier for you to adapt to such clean images, or is it equally demanding as working on a more complex shoot?
    SEBASTIAN: It's just as complex or it is for me anyway. Or at least I treat it that way. Not complex but professional, I try to learn the style, the story, what both the magazine and photographer are like, what the team are like, what my portfolio needs, etc. And try to give them the right shot for it.
    PR: You are also the face of the Zara Young collection, for S/S2011! That's a really impressive job! Does Zara match your personal style?
    SEBASTIAN: Oh yeah, for sure. Awesome clothes, awesome team. Zara has everything going for it!
    PR: What are your style choices for this season? We take it you're a jeans and t-shirt type of a person, like us... but do you dress up sometimes, for a special occasion?
    SEBASTIAN: Hmm. I do like dressing up but always want one item of clothing that really sticks out. For example a suit with a hoody or trainers or a massive belt with a NES controller as a buckle
    PR: What about style choices for castings... Do male models have to change their style a bit for major clients, to look like they represent the brand already?
    SEBASTIAN: I can't say that I bother with all that crap.. I figure that if I turn up with no make up and no product the client can see what I really look like. They usually appreciate me for not trying so hard to impress. I think they're exhausted by it.
    PR: Time to take a little break from fashion, at least in this interview! Tell us about your life outside the fashion industry. Where can you be seen in your free time?
    SEBASTIAN: In bed. In the park with friends, working in my buddies kitchen, playing hacky sack, watching movies and tv.
    PR: Do you do a lot of sports? What's the workout routine that gives you the best results?
    SEBASTIAN: Not a whole lot of sport regretfully. I want to get more into basketball. Maybe something fun too, like extreme frisbee. I love playing hacky sack though. I’ve been doing it for 10 years it's quite a work out too, the only workout I ever really get.
    PR: We almost forgot — should have asked that at the beginning: You have a very interesting last name... What are your origins?
    SEBASTIAN: My last name is French and means the saviour. I'm half German, half American made up of Irish, Scottish, Canadian and French. And I’ve lived in England for the last 13 years after growing up I'm Michigan in the US.
    PR: Any funny mispronunciation stories?
    SEBASTIAN: Yeah at a casting in Italy I was trying to say very good in Italian but instead of saying “Molto buono” I said “morto benne” which means dead bucket.
    PR: HAHA  ! How would you describe yourself in three words?
    SEBASTIAN: Stretched 10 year-old
    PR: And how would you describe yourself as a model, in three words?
    SEBASTIAN: Stretched 7 year-old
    PR: ( LOL LOL )What's your favorite expression at the moment?
    SEBASTIAN: My expression; I pretend there's something in my eyes and I just lost my wallet
    PR: Have you picked up any new "it" words from the fashion industry?
    SEBASTIAN: It word; boom!
    PR: Any irritating fashion slang you can't stop laughing about??
    SEBASTIAN : Funny words; all of them; chik, passé, modern, classic. (with the pronunciations of course) oh and the one that is driving me crazy. Major! Literally everyone keeps saying it every 2 seconds
    PR: And finally ...are you taking a well deserved holiday break? What are your plans for the summer?
    SEBASTIAN: Hell yeah I am. Though a lot of this job is a bit of a holiday though I never seem to quite fully be on a break. I'm going on a family trip to Brittany for a week maybe I'll turn my phone off and max relax!