Fragrance Girl

Nicolas' Art

The fashion as art debate has never weighed too heavily on me... perhaps couture but certainly not much else. Fashion to me is a craft. Something you create that serves a purpose -- to cover, adorn and beautify.

Fashion illustration on the other hand... is ART. I adore fashion illustration. I think it's like a little window into the soul of the designer. I discovered these lovelies by Nicolas Ghesquière on the Balenciaga site. I like that they are bold, graphic and almost geometric looking. When you glance to the left at the finished product it makes me think that Nicholas is a designer that thinks first and foremost about silhouette and shape - as did the late great Balenciaga. Obviously the colour and pattern are like icing on a devine cake - but shape is what makes my heart pitter patter.