Fragrance Girl

L'Eau by Serge Lutens and Papyrus de Ciane by Parfumerie Generale

A couple of weeks ago I ordered the Spring Spritz sample pack from Lucky Scent. (Beginning to think I'm a marketer's dream.) The sample pack arrived on Friday — here's what's in it:
M Micallef Shanaan Tocca BiancaParfumerie Generale Papyrus de CianeCalypso Bellini Serge Lutens L'Eau
Several internet reviews mention that Serge Lutens is trying to go mainstream with his latest creation, L'Eau. Having smelt L'Eau, I would definitely agree. It's very reminiscent of Marc Jacobs Daisy. Not to say that it's exactly the same fragrance, but it has the same 'sparkling' quality and aquatic notes. If you love that 'just got out of the shower' fresh, clean smell, then L'Eau is definitely worth a try.
The second sample that I've tried is Papyrus de Ciane by Parfumerie Generale. The opening of this was of a very traditional cologne. It even reminded me of that old classic 4711. But the opening didn't last long. Very soon I was left with a very resinous dry down which is incredibly mascline and woody. Sometimes resinous smells can become almost creosote like (as I found out recently with Tom Ford's White Suede). Papyrus de Ciane was on the brink of being just a bit too woody for my taste.