Fragrance Girl

Nutmeg and Ginger by Jo Malone

It’s been a sniffalicious Friday.

Recently I read that fragrance is democratic. I agree and disagree. In as much as everybody can smell, yes it should be democratic. However, in as far as sales assistants are concerned, you have to be fairly self assured to feel like an equal.

Today I’ve experienced both ends of the spectrum. Firstly, I went to Jo Malone on Sloane Street. The staff couldn’t have been more welcoming. They literally had to throw open the doors for me and my many children to all get inside. I had a really good test of practically everything that they sell. And they were friendly when I left without buying anything. They helped me back out of the double doors and bid me farewell.

Feeling quite excited by all the Jo Malone fragrances, I couldn’t resist a quick trip to Les Senteurs on Elizabeth Street. They’ve mailed me some of their samples in the past, and they have a great selection. I feel a bit more confident about fragrances now, so I felt sure that the store wouldn’t intimidate me this time.

As the Les Senteurs threshold isn’t exactly buggy friendly I jumped up the steps opened the door and asked the lady at the desk if she minded me bringing my buggy in. Her response couldn’t have been more peculiar. She didn’t look up from what she was doing. She raised her eyebrows (to herself) and muttered a tight-lipped, ‘Of course.’ I wasn’t even sure if she was talking to me, so I leaned in the doorway a little bit further, but there was nobody else there. The shop assistant still didn’t look up at me though. So I walked back down the steps to get the buggy. But in that two seconds of walking down the steps I decided not to bother. Needless to say, I won’t be going there again.

Anyway – enough about attitude. What did I actually sniff?

Fellow blogger, AllIAm-ARedhead, and I are swapping a few fragrances at the moment. One I’m about to receive is Jo Malone’s Ginger and Nutmeg. The name sounds so enticing that I had to go to Jo Malone today to try it. Ginger and Nutmeg is absolutely gorgeous. I was so excited by it that I nearly bought some there and then. But I refrained, and will wait patiently for the sample to arrive.

I then had a good tour of the fragrance section in Peter Jones. I bought some Chanel Nº 19 as a gift for a friend and asked the sales assistant if I could have some samples too. She pointed at the testers. Hmm, thanks.

I couldn’t resist having a sniff of Aramis 900. This is sometimes referred to as the ‘brother’ fragrance to Clinique’s Aromatics Elixir. Smelling Aramis 900 again today I wondered if there is actually any difference at all. Both fragrances were created by Bernard Chant in the early 1970s. I keep toying with the idea of buying Aramis 900 for my husband. But, just saying ‘Aramis’ almost brings a Burt Reynold’s inspired smirk to my face.

Miller Harris’s Coeur d’Eté – had a sample of that. It’s got that very specific floral heart that reminds me of a budding flower still in its green state.

Saw, but didn’t try Vera Wang’s Princess. I’ve reviewed this before. But subsequently seen this advertised on Nick Junior, which is a TV channel aimed at 2-5 year olds. Food for thought. Although I’m not sure what the thoughts are yet.

Finally I went to the Guerlain counter and the very helpful assistant sprayed some Apres L’Ondée onto a tester paper for me. The smell reminds me of old worn leather. It’s how ‘leather’ fragrances should smell. But in fact the notes have got nothing to do with leather. They are aniseed, hesperidic notes, rose, violet, hawthorn and iris root. A lovely fragrance and definitely one I’ll come back to.