Fragrance Girl

Conquering fears ~

Howdy nutty friends!

well, the first week of 2012 is behind us. I'm very proud to say, that with the help of my amazing husband and sister-in-law, one of my goals for the year is off to a successful start!

Woodworking!!

I've been coveting the beautiful moulding I see in other homes for so long and wanting to have it in my house. I'm a pretty independent person, when I want something, I want to make it happen.

I'm starting small, and getting comfortable taking measurements and cutting angles. You gotta start small, and work your way up. This isn't a major project, by any means. But, it's major to me.

We are framing our builder's grade bathroom mirrors. I know, I know... pretty basic. But for 2 complete novices, I'm really proud of what we did today.

Here is the mirror before:

Wow, how hard is it to get a picture in a mirror without showing that I was doing all this work in my jammies?? It was Sunday after all! :-)

We just used one of those mitre boxes that comes with the little saw. Only around $8 at Home Depot. The moulding I used was a composite kinda thing. Wasn't wood, almost seemed like plastic. But, it was already primed, very lightweight and came in manageable lengths. I would definitely use it again.

We just clamped it onto the kitchen island for the cutting. Drew actually scuffed the counter top. Hmm... new butcher block top anyone?!? :-)

Here is a closeup of the detail:

Pretty eh?

This was definitely a team effort. Drew had more wood shop classes than I had and is much better at the measurements. But, he taught me lots and we both did the actual cutting. We couldn't believe just how close our cuts turned out!

We used clear adhesive, since it was being attached to a mirror and we didn't want it showing. We used blue painters tape to hold it in place until the adhesive set.

A little bit of white paintable caulk to fill in the small gaps, and it's done!! I'm SO proud of us! I'm ready to put moulding up in every room of the house! haha I need to go buy more moulding to finish the other 2 mirrors, but we are off to a great start!

Man, it is HARD to take a good pic in a small half bath! So, I'm really sorry about the horrible pictures!

Did I mention I'm proud of us? hehe

XOXOXO

Linking to:

The Not So Functional Housewife