Fragrance Girl

Perfume Review (Sort of) [Coco by Chanel]

The Beatles apparently stopped themselves from writing songs in a certain musical key because they always got to Number One. The group felt it was too easy and didn't want to rely on established successes. Not sure if this is a true story, but I can understand the sentiment. Chanel and Dior fragrances give me the exact same feeling.
Coco Chanel and Christian Dior created some of the most popular fragrances ever. Their perfumes are hugely successful because they are (largely) fabulous. But they are very far from being uncharted waters. Chanel and Dior are the go-to counters for every auntie's/nanny's/sister's/neighbour's birthday.
Reliability does not equal perfume excitement. I'm faddy, love trying new things, learning about niche lines and making new discoveries. However, any port in a storm! I'm struggling to keep up with my usual fragrance testing schedule and keep four children happy during the holidays. This morning I was in a panic, and remembered some good advice; try a classic when you don't know what fragrance to wear. Coco jumped out at me. And actually I can't remember ever smelling it before.
Needless to say, Coco is absolutely beautiful. When I tried it today it had a very buttery quality. It also has a sweet edge, which something like Chinatown by Bond No. 9 tries to conjure up, but does so in a much more clunky way. There's also a very mild (and beautiful) burnt quality. Not exactly burnt sugar, as that's too sweet, but something reminiscent.
In many ways I would love to treat myself to a bottle of Coco. It's reliable. But I won't let myself be lulled into a safe perfume haven. Have to keep moving on to something Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.