Fragrance Girl

Mini Reviews [Beyond Love by Kilian, White Suede by Tom Ford, Citron Citron by Miller Harris and Eau Mega by Viktor & Rolf]

It's been a week of quick sniffs. Last night took me to Harrods and Harvey Nichols. Infinitely more tricky shopping there than any other department store. The staff will not leave you alone. At the Miller Harris counter in Harrods the beautiful assistant asked me if I would like any help. 'No thank you', I said, 'I'm just looking'. However, she continued to talk incessantly spraying samples and handing them to me. Really — I just wanted to have a good look, but no, that's not possible it seems.
Anyway, what did I try?

Beyond Love by Kilian Sadly this one is not for me. I was sampling quite happily, when I noticed on the description that Coconut is the first note that's mentioned. If I was on holiday in Hawai, I might consider smelling like a coconut. Otherwise, no thank you.
Next, Tom Fords' White Suede Caz asked me to review this after I had written a review of Black Orchid. So I tried it in Harvey Nichols yesterday. After I smelt it, I thought, no, no, no. That just can't be right. So in Harrods I asked the lovely assistant there to give me a test paper too. And it was the same. It smells of creosote. That's more or less all I get. Sorry Caz not to be more positive. But if you like it — you should just go ahead an get it. It probably smells entirely different on your skin.
In Harrods, the Miller Harris assistant insisted I try Citron Citron Initially all I got was lemon curd. But it dried down to something much greener and much more interesting. Great to have a citrus with some depth.
As I was leaving the Harrods fragrance hall, I was handed a test paper of Emilio Pucci's Vivara. Not sure what I feel about this. I will have to try it again.
In Harvey Nichols I tried Eau Mega by Viktor & Rolf. This week is the first time that I've tried anything by Viktor & Rolf. From what I've seen, this should be a popular brand. Flower Bomb is a great sugary fragrance, and manages to reign in the sweetness before it gets annoying. Eau Mega is a very wearable fruity floral, in the style of Gucci Flora or Armani Code. Not sure about the Viktor & Rolf gimmicky bottles, but at least they are memorable.
Finding the Bond No 9 counter in Harrods just bowled me over. I didn't know it was there. As Chinatown and West Side are the only two I've tried, and I love both of them, I didn't know what to pick next. The assistant just kept on spraying samples and handing them to me until I was thoroughly confused. I tried High Line (which just arrived in Harrods yesterday) but was handed so many in such quick succession that I really don't know how it smelt. Will go back with a testing strategy.
Lastly I really wanted to mention two fig fragrances I tried in Liberty earlier this week.
Le Labo Figue 15 A great fig fragrance is a 'must have' for any fragrance lover. I've tried lots of figs and there are some good ones around. Nothing by Le Labo has particularly grabbed me before, but Figue 15 is definitely worth a try. It's fresh and beautiful.
Finally, and on the same theme — Philosykos 'Creme pour le corps' body cream by Diptyque. I could use a tub of it every day. Truly fabulous.